Thursday 3 November 2011

Grayson Perry

I've just watched the Imagine feature on Grayson Perry - The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman. Perry is an artist I've always been aware off but hadnt paid much attention to his work, in fact I only watched this because I'd found him vaguely amusing on Have I Got News For You. Anyway, seeing the work he has created for his exhibition at the British Museum I was deeply impressed by the ideas and the execution of those ideas - anyone who has a custom made pink motorcyle built containing a shrine for his childhood teddy bear - then driving it to Germany and back deserves much praise.  I remember a quote by Keith Allen about Damian Hirst - 'it's one thing to have the idea of dissecting and displaying a shark, it's a whole different thing to actually do it', I guess thats was separates us from 'the artists'. I liked the images it showed of Perrys sketchbook and definitely felt there was some similarities with what we are trying to do (in a very far removed way - we do only make t-shirts!!!), and definitely got some inspiration from this.



No comments:

Post a Comment